Every roof has an expected life span, after which it will need to be replaced. Knowing your roof’s age can help you plan ahead for its eventual replacement. In today’s post, local roofing and siding contractor Home Pro Exteriors shares the signs that your roof is nearing the end of its life span.
1. The roof is over 20 years old. It is the most obvious and is also the most overlooked sign of an aging roof. Asphalt shingle roofs are expected to last about 20 years, 30 if you have laminate or architectural shingles. A roof this old would start showing signs of aging, which means you should start planning on getting it replaced. Additionally, a new roof can make you eligible for insurance discounts.
2. You’re calling for roof repairs way too often. Key components of a roof begin to deteriorate as it ages. This means leaks and other roofing problems can occur more frequently, which means you’ll be making more roof repair appointments within the year. The costs of multiple repair appointments can add up quickly, and it may be more practical to have your roof replaced.
3. Some of the asphalt shingles are buckling or curling. Old asphalt shingles lose their shape as they age, resulting in buckling or curling shingles. Roofs in this condition may not provide the kind of protection that it did when it was new.
4. Important roofing components are missing. Years of wear can affect the fasteners that hold important components like flashing. Such components are in place to prevent rainwater infiltration. With these parts missing, your roof becomes more vulnerable to leaks and moisture damage.
5. You’re finding a lot of sediment in the gutters. It’s normal to find loose asphalt shingle granules in the gutters, but only in small amounts. As the asphalt shingles age, more granules can come loose, resulting in sediment deposits that can be as deep as an inch. If you are having your gutters cleaned by professionals, ask them to give you a heads-up if they find unusually large amounts of sediment in the gutters.
Our roofers at Home Pro Exteriors can help you with your roof replacement needs. Give us a call at (845) 513-3682. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve customers in Monroe, NY, and the surrounding communities.