Your roof’s primary responsibility is to protect your property from harsh weather conditions. However, it is also paramount to ensure that your system is fully functional to withstand these factors as homeowners. One of the more severe problems your roofing may encounter is moisture, and fortunately, your trusted roof replacement company will discuss some of the things you must know about this issue.
- Moisture finds its way into a home’s attic, prompting the property at serious risk for significant structural defects. This leads to condensation and mold growth on the attic’s floor joists, roof joists, and even your roof rafters. Wood rot is highly likely when this happens, compromising the stability of the plywood sheathing, causing the other layers to separate.
- Any roofing contractor would remind homeowners that humidity leading to your layers’ rotting can cause coughing and itchy eyes when you breathe into molds. This would also trigger allergic reactions and critical asthma attacks.
- Excessive heat from the sun and heat rising into your attic or crawl space can cause your shingles to curl and shrink, nails to pop, and weak areas to form. Once this happens, cracks and splits on the roof can allow water to seep into your home, leading to expensive water damage.
- As for the usual metal components, moisture can cause corrosion. Remember that when your roof features are affected by corrosion, it won’t be long before they have to be renewed. This is why good metal roofing products are treated to resist this dilemma.
- Excess moisture may also damage your electronics that are susceptible to damage by condensation. Watch for high humidity and drastic temperature changes that may happen when bringing in electric appliances from your cold garage or basement.
Let Your Local Roofer Help!
Home Pro Exteriors is your leading provider of roofing and siding services. Give us a call at (845) 513-3682. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment for a window replacement. We serve customers in Newburgh, NY, and the surrounding communities.