Roofs are every property’s protection against various elements, including extreme weather conditions. It also serves as a barrier that would maintain indoor temperatures at a much consistent rate, reducing the output needed from HVAC units and, consequently, and help your energy bills remain low. This is something that most homeowners aren’t very familiar with. Fortunately, today, your local roof and deck builder will discuss how your roof effectively helps you save energy.
- ENERGY STAR® Rating. With an ENERGY STAR label, you can guarantee that the product will help you save more energy than ordinary products. As likely, roofs built using ENERGY STAR shingles reflect more of the sun’s rays which can lower roof surface temperature by up to 50F, decreasing the amount of heat transferred into a building.
- Modernized Shingles. Old shingles have lower shingle ratings than their newer counterparts. On the other hand, most roof repair experts say newer shingles can prevent winds up to 130 MPH, keeping the strongest winds out of your home and reducing your energy costs.
- Ventilation. If a roof isn’t properly ventilated, hot air can become trapped inside the attic and cause your entire house to heat up extremely. Remember that these systems are built with ventilation to allow proper airflow between the attic and outdoors.
- Shingle Color. Paying close attention to the shingle color you add to your home will impact your utility bills. Professionals suggest that cold-weather areas benefit from dark shingles, while homes in hot climates should have lighter roof colors to help deflect sunlight.
- Solar Reflection. As mentioned, the more effectively your roof reflects solar light, the more energy-efficient it is. Hence, if your roof can’t reflect sunlight away from your home, the shingles then absorb the solar heat and transfer it into your home.
Let Your Local Roofer Help!
Home Pro Exteriors is your leading provider of roofing and siding services. Give us a call at (845) 513-3682. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment for a roof replacement. We serve customers in Warwick, NY, and the surrounding communities.