Whether you’re planning a roof repair or a full replacement, it’s important to choose the right type of shingle for your home. However, it can be a bit overwhelming with all the options available on the market. To make an informed decision on the different types of shingles, let’s first get to know the other factors that may affect your choice:
What to Consider When Choosing Shingles
- Color – Shingle colors are abundant in options, so you won’t find it hard to get the color that’s perfect for your home’s architecture. If you’re looking to add classical elegance to your traditional home’s aesthetic, we suggest going for black, white, or grey shingles. If you want to blend more with your natural surroundings, go for warmer earthy tones. Just keep in mind that lighter colors reflect sunlight and heat while darker shades absorb them.
- Fire Rating – You’ll find that some shingles have fire ratings from class A to C, while others have none. But depending on your local building code, your shingles will need to be fire-rated as well.
- Wind Rating – Shingles will also have a wind classification of either Class F or Class H. Class F wind ratings measure wind resistance of at least 110 mph. Class H has an uplift rating of at least 150 mph.
Popular Shingle Types
- Dimensional Shingles – These are some of the most popular roof replacement materials in the market. Also known as architectural or laminate shingles, they’re made by manufacturing two or more layers of asphalt and fused for a thicker and more “multi-dimensional” appearance. They’re designed to mimic natural wood shake or slate roofing material but at a more affordable price.
- Strip Shingles – Also known as three-tab shingles or just strips, they’re made from a single layer of asphalt that can offer a slate look to your roof. This makes them lighter and cheaper than other types of shingles and is typically used in building inexpensive homes.
- Luxury Shingles – These are the highest quality shingles available, as they offer a visual style and performance on a much higher level compared to other types available. You get the best protection against natural weather conditions without sacrificing the stunning visual appeal. They’re also one of the most expensive, but out of all the other types available, luxury shingles are hard to beat.
When you’re looking for a professional siding contractor for your next exterior remodeling, our team at Home Pro Exteriors has got you covered! Call us today at (845) 343-1777 or fill out our convenient contact form. We serve Monroe and surrounding NY areas, so contact us today!